Posted to uk.d-i-y
bert[_5_] bert[_5_] is offline

Default Trade agreements

In article , Bosco Green
writes

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Roger Mills writes:
On 17/06/2016 12:54, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Allread wrote:

I just picked up a snippet of information showing that those who
said the
UK is already negotiating its own trade deals is wrong as we aren't
allowed to do so whilst in the EU.

This means that we currently have no trade deal with USA, NZ,
Australia,
China or India to name but a few.

We are still a member of WTO (twice in fact, directly as the UK where we
pay the membership fees, and indirectly as a member of the EU where no
fees are paid) so that would give as a basic trade deal with other WTO
members.

But it wouldn't be a *free* trade deal, we'd have to re-negotiate those,
the two years for the EU exit process is rather short for the usual
negotiations, but the carrot to the EU to get their finger out would be
continuing to sell their cars (and windmills, etc) to us without duty
slapped on the price.

It's *much* more important for the EU to
ensure that we fail if we're outside the EU

Not even possible for the EU to do that. The most it
can ever do is impose massive trade barriers with the
EU and it can even legally do that given the WTO
rules that requires the EU to have the SAME tariffs
for everyone with a particular class of goods.

Yes, the EU can certainly treat Britain the same
way as it does all other countries outside the
EU with stuff they sell to the EU, instead of the
current tariff and quota free trade with Britain,
but that can't possibly see Britain fail. The most
that it might do is cripple British agricultural
exports to the EU and see the car manufacturers
that currently manufacture in Britain move those
car plants to the EU so they can continue to ship
those cars and engines etc tariff free to the EU.
That isnt going to see Britain fail.

than it is to sell extra German cars to us. Failure
to ensure we struggle outside the EU will lead
to rapid collapse of the whole EU,

BULL****. France and Germany arent going
to leave because they are the ones that set it
up. Spain, Italy Greece etc arent going to leave
because they would then have no one to bail
them out when their banks implode spectacularly.

It would make a lot of sense for Greece to leave, reintroduce its own
currency and hey presto it's debt is devalued overnight.
Snip
--
bert