John Bachman

Default can a CRT function on it's side?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:29:51 -0600, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

Back in the mid 1980s Apple and at least one other mfg made monitors that
could be rotated for working on legal sized documents. I see no reason why
can't use yours rotated 90 degrees. Look for a deguass butoon or try
turning it on and off several times.

Those were monochrome monitors - the change in magnetic field would
cause a positional shift but convergence was not a problem.

In that time period I was designing monitors for a large computer
company. We shipped a new color monitor design to our folks in
Australia and were puzzled when they reported that the convergence was
off.

I could hardly believe it when we found that the convegence problem
was caused by the difference in the Earth's magnetic field between
Australia and the US.

A happy discovery was that if you break the field into vertical and
horizontal components the horizontal is nearly identical but the
vertical is nearly identical in magnitude but opposite in direction.
So our solution was to turn the monitors upside down when aligning
them here - then they were fine right side up in Australia.

Those were low-resolution monitors. I doubt that the upside down
trick would be adequate for today's monitors. Monitor manufacturers
today use a controlled magnetic field room in which they can create
the magnetic field for any place on earth. They set it up, align the
monitors and ship the units to the right place.

John