robobass

Default can a CRT function on it's side?

I was in an MRI clinic and noticed that the monitors were set up tall
and narrow. They weren't just turned on their sides, they were made
this way. This was to better view spinal column images. I thought this
would be great for me, a musician, as I could better view sheet music.
I tried turning my 19" crt 90 deg, but it messed up the color and the
focus. Are there certain crt designs that would function on their
sides? I imagine LCDs would work this way, but I don't want to spend
the money. Why did I have this problem? How it it that an electron
beam would be affected by gravity?
Robobass