Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Table Saw Help

On 6/18/2016 2:07 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I may start a war, with this comment.

I have an old 1968 Craftsman 10' table saw. This was the high end
craftsman, not the elcheapo. I Have been using it for about 30 years
and it is still quite functional.

The Craftsman has a cast iron table with aluminum wings, giveing me
about a 36 inch square working area. I did have a problem with the 1hp
capacitor start motor that a repair man fixed for a couple of dollars
and showed my how to fix it in the future. (Clean our the area of the
motor where the capacitor is, and keep it clean.)

Because Craftsman table saws are looked down on you should be able to
get a good deal on the saw.

My first of 3 TS's was a new 1983 Craftsman with cast iron top and steel
solid extensions. When I sold it I replaced the extensions with formica
covered extensions and a 36" Jet Exacta rip fence. It was a decent saw
after all of that. The 1 hp motor did give me grief when ripping 3/4"
plywood if myself and a helper did not guide steady enough or slow enough.

After using it for 16 years I traded up to a Jet cabinet saw. and about
14 years got the industrial SawStop.

All three saws were/are on mobile bases and I cannot stress how much a
mobile base on a TS makes close quarters work areas less troublesome.