Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Trade agreements

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
tim... wrote

We wont be "leaving" the EU for this year or next
year, we will be doing if for the next 20, 30, 40 years.

Not so. It's accepted it will take about 2 years.

He meant that Britain wont be leaving FOR the result in this year or next,
but
for the result for the next 20, 30, 40 years, not how long it takes to
leave.

After that, it will be prolonged negotiations to reach a new deal.

Or not if the EU tries to ensure a ****ty deal to
discourage others from considering leaving.

If the EU still exists as now, guaranteed worse
that the one we have at the moment.

Yes, but likely better trade wise for Britain because it will
be free to import whatever it needs from anywhere it likes
without having any tariffs applied, instead of what the EU
forces it to have tariff/duty wise currently. Sure, those in
the EU that want to continue to import what they currently
import from Britain will have to pay a small tariff/duty on that
stuff, but if the pound does drop a bit that wont necessarily
cost the anymore.

It is the Asian and South American countries that are
growing richer every year that we need to increase trade
with, and it is the EU introspectiveness that is holding us
(and all the other EU countries) back from that.

And all those countries want a deal with the EU - not the UK on its own.

That remains to be seen. Given that it will likely be MUCH
easier to get one with Britain on its own than with the EU,
just because there arent 28 separate countrys that can say
that they don’t want an agreement that non EU country,
it may well be that they actually get one with Britain
much more quickly than with the EU.

I really don't think you've any idea just how involved
it is negotiating a deal with another country.

You clearly don’t.

It's not done by a couple of people over a pint one evening.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

There may well be a handshake between leaders that gets
the publicity as an intention - but then the real work starts.

Duh. And the real work will have started long before
the pollys shake hands in front of the cameras.