Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Trade agreements

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
tim... wrote

We will use standard WTO rules until we can negotiate something better.

We will almost certainly, unilaterally remove import
tariffs from stuff that we "need" to import, such as food!

If the UK is outside the EU, what do you mean by unilaterally?

Doing what Britain decides it wants to do without consulting anyone.

In contravention of WTO rules?

No WTO rule has anything to say about removing tariffs from the food
Britain needs to import. Perfectly acceptable within the WTO rules.

An independant UK is never going to have a problem importing goods.

And is free to remove any existing tariffs that the EU
requires it has on those imports and so get them cheaper.

Why would it? Apart from perhaps strategically sensitive stuff like arms,
etc.

The difficult bit is exporting stuff

How odd that the US, China, Japan, India, Canada, Australia etc etc etc
manage to export fine without any trade agreement involving those.

- to pay for all those imports.