Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Trade agreements

Dave Plowman wrote:

But those countries being part of the EU can't negotiate a deal with us
individually. Which is rather obvious because once our goods arrive at an
EU country, they would then be within the EU and subject to free movement.

It's never going to be a problem for us to import from a country.

If you want to be meek about it, yes you can make it easy for Brits to
buy Passats by setting a 0% post-brexit import duty on cars from the EU
(same as now).

Or if you want to play a little hard-ball, you charge the same duty as
for an Accord (10% since they're not made in Swindon), You now have VW
and Renault's attention. Then you do the same for white goods and get
Bosch and Ariston's attention ... soon "they" want a deal with us, as
much as we want a deal with them, rather than us letting them not need one.