Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Sony Magnescale alignment procedure

On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 08:00:00 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 5:49:22 PM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Jon Elson" wrote in message
CARLOS REIS wrote:

replying to Jon Elson, CARLOS REIS wrote:
Thanks Jon

I will try to rewire one of this days

OK, if I had a complete choice, I'd do this under a stereo zoom
microscope,
and use fine tweezers. I do micro soldering all the time anyway,
but this
was something that really tested my skills.

Jon

Conductive epoxy is good for really fine work. I repaired a broken 1
mil x 5 mil bonding ribbon on a laser diode die with it.

--jsw

I've also done lots of ridiculously small soldering with the aid of a stereo zoo scope, but I've never used conductive epoxy.

Properly cleaned and fluxed, solder will (usually) go where it's supposed to go and (usually) stay out of where it's not supposed to go. How do you handle this with epoxy? If you accidentally get some where it's not supposed to go, can you clean it off?

I could certainly see using conductive epoxy for repairing Kapton flat cables. That stuff is really hard to solder without melting lots of plastic.

Speaking of conductive plastics, you guys may be interested in a big
push that HP is making into 3D printing (additive manufacturing).
They're embedding conductive-plastic electrical conductors in the 3D
parts. I don't know the market they're shooting for, but my guess is
that it's automotive.

--
Ed Huntress