Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default Trade agreements

"Mark Allread" wrote in message
o.uk...
On Sat, 18 Jun 2016 12:31:36 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
tim... wrote:
Again, as I understand it, neither the UK nor the EU currently has a
trade deal with the USA - this is what TTIP is all about, but hasn't
yet been agreed. But we *still* do a lot of trade with the US.

[As far as I can see, TTIP would be bad news for us anyway - so if
we're not in the EU at the time when it's finally agreed, so much the
better!]

As currently "leaked" it seems to be a bad deal for many of the
countries of the EU.

The negotiators seem to be doing a **** poor job at representing the
interests of the countries that they are negotiating for and what they
end up with stands every chance of being voted down when it gets to the
council of ministers - in 30 years time :-)

True. Yet the BREXITs are adamant we will be able to agree advantageous
trade deals around the world after leaving the EU easily and quickly.
And also with the EU.

Of course it will be quick and easy

| Meeting at the WTO in Geneva, ambassadors from the EU and Latin
American countries today agreed to end a *15-year dispute* over EU banana
imports

But that's fine cos we won't be negotiating with Latin American companies
as can be seen from the following:

|All but 2 of the top-10 trading partners of the UK belong to the
European Union. The UKs main trading partner in 2014 was Germany, which
accounted for 12.3% of all UK trade in that year. In second position was
the United States (9.5%), followed by the Netherlands (7.5%), China (7.3%
) and France (5.9%). Together, these 10 countries accounted for 61.4% of
UK trade in 2014.

Phew, that's a relief - the companies we would want agreements with are
mostly in the EU.

but that's the world's stagnating economy

We wont be "leaving" the EU for this year or next year, we will be doing if
for the next 20, 30, 40 years. It is the Asian and South American countries
that are growing richer every year that we need to increase trade with, and
it is the EU introspectiveness that is holding us (and all the other EU
countries) back from that.

tim