Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
axolotyl axolotyl is offline

Default Tips for applying PVA release agent on moulds

Its only half metalwork but I'm pretty sure some of you guys will know a
bit about this!

In point form:

1) Casting epoxy into a CNC machined mould.

2) Having problems with getting a consistent surface finish.

3) We are spraying the PVA release agent using a small touch up spray gun.

4) Sometimes we get small runs.

5) Sometimes part finish is matte due to the PVA drying too quickly.

Being a novice I think these problems are pretty much down to
application technique.

Any tips on what we can try to make the process of applying the PVA more
forgiving?

Alternatively would making the next mould from Teflon be worth trying?

I don't know if the machining finish would be smooth enough but my guess
is it could be used without a release agent.

Any ideas or experience?