Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Allread[_2_] Mark Allread[_2_] is offline

Default Trade agreements

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 13:07:06 +0000, Adrian wrote:

On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 06:17:33 -0500, Mark Allread wrote:

I just picked up a snippet of information showing that those who said
the UK is already negotiating its own trade deals is wrong as we aren't
allowed to do so whilst in the EU.

Correct. And that's been the situation since we joined the common market
in 1973.

This means that we currently have no trade deal with USA, NZ,
Australia,
China or India to name but a few.

The EU has no trade deal with the USA - that's what TTIP will be.

The EU has no trade deal with Australia or NZ - last year, there was an
announcement that discussion towards one would be starting in 2017.

The EU has no trade deal with China - this year, there's been some
discussion about starting to think about one.

The EU has no trade deal with India - negotiations started in 2007, but
stalled when Modi came into government in 2014. There's some discussion
that they might restart.

I agree - sadly others seem to have been misinformed in the past. At
least the most recent Vote Leave lealet has attempted to correct some
impressions.