Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Trade agreements

On 17/06/2016 13:31, Mark Allread wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 12:54:40 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Mark Allread wrote:

I just picked up a snippet of information showing that those who said
the UK is already negotiating its own trade deals is wrong as we aren't
allowed to do so whilst in the EU.

This means that we currently have no trade deal with USA, NZ,
Australia, China or India to name but a few.

We are still a member of WTO (twice in fact, directly as the UK where we
pay the membership fees, and indirectly as a member of the EU where no
fees are paid) so that would give as a basic trade deal with other WTO
members.

Yep, I get that.

But it wouldn't be a *free* trade deal, we'd have to re-negotiate those,

and that is where I was told I was wrong (along with others) and that the
UK would *not* need to re-negotiate any trade deals. Reference was made
to India as an example but what I have seen clearly states that we have
no current trade deal with India.

This is supposed to be a DIY group so can people please consider doing a
bit of research rather than posting "a bloke in the pub said" stuff?
And also please cite your sources?

Eg a quick look at the map at

http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/html/149622.htm

will show the *EU* does not have "trade deals" in force with the USA,
NZ, Australia, China or India. But it is more advanced than the UK
since we can't do owt separate from the EU.

--
Robin