gothika

Default Remove Hard Deposits on Video Heads?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:13:25 GMT, (Michael) wrote:
Actually I meant butanol.
The carb spray I use has acetone and some other petroleum based
solvents.
Most of the hard black deposits you find on tape drums are from the
tapes themselves. The lubricants used on the moving parts is usually
lithium based or silicone based and will clean off very easy.(The
reason it'd be black is from dirt/dust and tape "shavings" that fall
down onto the tape guide runners.
This kind of deposit will clean off easily if it gets on the drum,
owing to it's base constituent being grease, which most solvents will
clean off very easily.
The hard to get off stuff is always tape coatings.
The binders and adhesives used inthe oxide coatings can be as tough as
cement and severe build up can necessitate drum removal and soaking.
I just keep at it with the swabs and carb spray until it starts to
flake off. It can take alot of time and effort but I've always been
able to get all mine ungummed this way.
If you do it by the book, pulling the drum and soaking it in acetone
or triple trico is the recommended procedure.

In article , gothika
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:01:52 GMT,
(Michael) wrote:
Try using a stronger solvent. I use a cotton swab and a good brand of
carb cleaner(aerosol)...

I've tried most of those solvents and they don't take it off. I'm an
ex-VCR tech, and yes, I do know how to open the machine and clean the
heads! I've never seen anything like these deposits. I suspect they were
caused by the famous Panasonic wet lubricant incompatibility problem.

Strong solvents don't seem to do the trick. I've tried naptha (cig lighter
fluid, which I presume is what you meant by "butane lighter fluid," since
actual butane is a gas), petroleum-based contact cleaner, alcohol, you
name it. I haven't actually tried carb cleaner, but I think it's very
similar in composition to the petro-based contact cleaner I have. I guess
I can go get some actual carb cleaner and try that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Michael