Steve(JazzHunter)

Default Remove Hard Deposits on Video Heads?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:03:35 -0500, "Steve(JazzHunter)"
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:13:25 GMT, (Michael) wrote:

In article , gothika
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:01:52 GMT,
(Michael) wrote:
Try using a stronger solvent. I use a cotton swab and a good brand of
carb cleaner(aerosol)...

I've tried most of those solvents and they don't take it off. I'm an
ex-VCR tech, and yes, I do know how to open the machine and clean the
heads! I've never seen anything like these deposits. I suspect they were
caused by the famous Panasonic wet lubricant incompatibility problem.

For the most stubborn head deposits I use Perchloroethylene, also
known as tetrachloroethylene, ethylene tetrachloride, or PERC. It
comes in a bottle labeled "Spot Remover." It is harmless to heads,
and evaporates instantly, but is lethal to plastics! There has never
been a situation where it has not removed the problem, unlike gasoline
and alcohol-based solvents.

I should mention it also makes chamois stucky. Put a drop of Perc on
a bit of lint-free paper and by hand turn the heads against it. For
the worst cases moisten a Q-tip to apply to the head, then wipe with
paper. Since it dissolves plastic and petroleum materials, it will
remove lubricants and tape binder from the head, which is what we want
to accomplish. It doesn't attack carbon or metals, or shellac (except
by extended soaking)

. Steve .

. Steve ..

Strong solvents don't seem to do the trick. I've tried naptha (cig lighter
fluid, which I presume is what you meant by "butane lighter fluid," since
actual butane is a gas), petroleum-based contact cleaner, alcohol, you
name it. I haven't actually tried carb cleaner, but I think it's very
similar in composition to the petro-based contact cleaner I have. I guess
I can go get some actual carb cleaner and try that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Michael