Steve(JazzHunter)

Default Remove Hard Deposits on Video Heads?

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:13:25 GMT, (Michael) wrote:

In article , gothika
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:01:52 GMT,
(Michael) wrote:
Try using a stronger solvent. I use a cotton swab and a good brand of
carb cleaner(aerosol)...

I've tried most of those solvents and they don't take it off. I'm an
ex-VCR tech, and yes, I do know how to open the machine and clean the
heads! I've never seen anything like these deposits. I suspect they were
caused by the famous Panasonic wet lubricant incompatibility problem.

For the most stubborn head deposits I use Perchloroethylene, also
known as tetrachloroethylene, ethylene tetrachloride, or PERC. It
comes in a bottle labeled "Spot Remover." It is harmless to heads,
and evaporates instantly, but is lethal to plastics! There has never
been a situation where it has not removed the problem, unlike gasoline
and alcohol-based solvents.

. Steve ..

Strong solvents don't seem to do the trick. I've tried naptha (cig lighter
fluid, which I presume is what you meant by "butane lighter fluid," since
actual butane is a gas), petroleum-based contact cleaner, alcohol, you
name it. I haven't actually tried carb cleaner, but I think it's very
similar in composition to the petro-based contact cleaner I have. I guess
I can go get some actual carb cleaner and try that.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Michael