Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Sony Magnescale alignment procedure

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 14:18:30 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

CARLOS REIS wrote:

replying to Jon Elson, CARLOS REIS wrote:
Hi jon

Did you rewired the coils?
I need to rewire the tiny inside the head but the double excitation coil
seems impossible to do manualy.
Can you help me with some advice?

Thanks
Carlos
Lisbon, Portugal

Wow, this is from something from a number of years ago. I DID rewire the
coils, and we got pretty good signals going into the converter, but the
output was no good. I don't know if we didn't wire it right, or if the
ferrite was damaged. Anyway, as far as I know, the scale never worked
again. Possibly somebody found a read head surplus and got it working
again.

Jon

I was the original poster of that thread. And in my case the problem
also turned out to be the read head. I was unable to find a complete
used scale of the proper length, but was able to swap out the head
from another scale. Two things to be aware of when doing this: First,
the scale is calibrated by tensioning the scale rod in the housing,
and you need to remove the rod to swap read heads. I was able to
re-calibrate to my satisfaction with gage blocks and a 50 millionths
test indicator. Second, what appear to be rivets in the housing covers
are actually fillister head machine screws with no slot or other tool
recess. A small drill chuck will grab them and they unscrew easily.

--
Ned Simmons