Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Dems abandon 'innocent until proven guilty' to push gun ban

On Thursday, June 16, 2016 at 11:55:38 AM UTC-4, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
On 6/16/16 11:41 AM, wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 08:19:11 -0700, Oren wrote:

On Thu, 16 Jun 2016 08:08:25 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Currently there is not only a really good appeal process, but there is
no requirement that anybody be notified they are on the list. Most show
to the airport and have all sorts of problems. I'd have to double check
because my memory is hazy, but I think one of the lists is classified so
they can't legally let anyone know.

Yes, but people died so we have to pass a new law now, any law, and you can
read it later to find out what it says, what it does, does it work, etc.

... just ONE more law. That should fix the problem. If not, we can
pass another law and see if that one works.

Has anyone said the shooter was actually on a watch list. I know the
FBI looked at him but they didn't say they found anything.

The shooter HAD been on one of the lists twice, but had been taken off
both times after the cases had been closed. He wasn't on any list at the
time he bought the guns or at the time of the occurence.

+1

That's what I heard too. That the procedure is that they go on a list
only while being investigated and that list is somehow tied into the FBI
being notified if the person attempts to buy a gun at a guns store.
I presume it's someone how tied into the federal database check, but
not sure. It's not clear if the FBI is notified in time to block the
purchase (can they even do that?), or if it's after the fact, etc.

If they can't block the sale, it's questionable how that would have
prevented what happened too. Mateen was a guard, had permits, etc,
if the FBI came calling one more time, I don't think he'd be telling
them what he was going to do, so it's back to the cat and mouse game.
Best chance might have been that another FBI probe might have wound up
with the wife ratting him out, but that's far from clear too. What role
she played, we don't know. But it seems she had a pretty good idea
what he was up to and didn't do anything.