Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Crystal Tuned TRF (I Think) FM Receiver

"** You said there WAS a crystal in each receiver, labelled with the same frequency as one of the mics, so the receiver is a superhet."

I might find out tomorrow or Friday. For what they pay I work when I damnwell please. I make three times as much at home actually. Actually, it is time for me to get back into that 465B and find a suitable replacement for Q4565. Thing is most of this stuff is stock which means it is really hard to put any pressure on them.

Anyway, so what you're saying is that the crystals are labelled for the assemblers with a number that is offset from the IF frequency, and since this is a standard chip with the quadrature detector that would mean it most likely operates at 10.7 MHz. Do I got that right ? If so, the frequency of the crystal should be off by 10.7 MHz then.

This is kinda just a matter of interest, the only use of it I might get is if I need to change frequencies. If I oculd just change the crystal that would be great but I doubt it. That 1186 or whatever is for the front end. That means that if I decide to change the frequency of one of the channels I have to align it. Ugh. I think it is time to find out what these things sell for. I'm sure it is not forty bucks but if it isn't at least close to $200 I have to think about how much time to put into them.

"Radio mics use such low power levels they cannot operate successfully unless a clear frequency exists at the location where they are being used - having that means they interfere with nothing.

A **** awful load of poot is spoken about radio mics *causing* interference. "

I think, at least with the VHF ones, more other interference ****s them up than the other way around. Security systems with wireless cameras and the like. We had one that knocked out all of the cordless phones in the house, had to get rid of it. That band around 200 MHz is not the place to be anymore.

Of course now they sell UHF wireless mics. That is my next stack to get into actually. But I am thinking of telling them just to sell the VHF ones locally so people can bring them back ad they can pick one up running on a different frequency. Of course that is gong to require a note or whatever on the box denoting that frequency.

Other than that they can throw them in the ****ing dumpster. Can't be shipping these things to bumfukt Egypt for a trial to see if they work.