Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Sterling prices.

michael adams wrote:
"S wrote in message

On 6/15/2016 9:53 AM, michael adams wrote:

"Tim wrote

It went to $1.05 at its worst. I remember as I was in the U Sat the
time and the Yanks were commenting on it

snip

The tables on this site show the lowest sterling has ever gone
against the US dollar in the period 1960 - 1990 was £1.30
in 1985. As I won't use this as an opportunity to score a cheap
political point I won't comment any further.

https://www.measuringworth.com/datas...und/result.php

or in graph form

http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dollhist-graph.htm

Different charts seem to provide different numbers - this one shows a rate of $1.0438
to the pound, in the 1980s.

Indeed. Having looked The Bank of England site gives a similar figure

Howver the original point being made was that this happened
in the 1970's, the implication being that it was under a Labour
Government.

quote

wrote in message

I can recall $1.2 to the pound in the 1970s. As an importer it was an interesting
experience.

/quote

when it fact it happened in 1985 - during the sixth year of the
Magnificent Reign of Our Late Supreme Leader - the Fount of all
Earthly Wisdom and She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to mention any of this as I find the
whole thing a bit upsetting myself, as can be imagined. But thank
you for your post, nevertheless.

michael adams

http://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=USD&A=1&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=195 3&DD2=25&MM2=02&YYYY2=2013&LARGE=1&LANG=en&CJ=0

I was not implying that this was under a Labour government. I
used the wrong decade My point was that we have had much lower exchange
rates in the past half century and we're still here. Industry survives
by becoming more efficient, as you can tell by the rapid increase in the
standard of living in the 80s.