Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Thus spake a kipper...

On 14-Jun-16 9:29 PM, Andrew wrote:
According to Daily Politics, our net contribution of £10 Billion is the
equivalent of a 7% tariff on our exports to the EU. However we have
imported about 3 million from mostly poorer EU countries who either
send money back home, or they start have kids here which means what
ever little tax they pay is massively outweighed by the tax-credits,
housing benefit, free education (£65,000 per child) and free NHS....

According to a UCL report, in the period 2001-2011, immigrants from the
EU-15 countries paid 64% more in taxes than they received in benefits.
Immigrants from the central and eastern European countries (A10
countries) paid 12% more. European immigrants who arrived since 2000 are
also generally better educated - in 2011 24% of UK natives had a
university degree, compared to 25% from the A10 and 62% from the EU-15
countries. The saving of this to the UK education system over the period
1995 to 2011 is estimated at £49bn.

... Last
year the UK taxpayer paid £660 million to EU countries for providing
healthcare to retired UK nationals living in the EU. But we only
collect a tiny fraction of that amount from EU countries for th cost
of 'free' NHS care for EU nationals...

That is a failing in the NHS systems for identifying those who are not
entitled to free treatment and is nothing to do with the EU itself.

Colin Bignell