Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Preparing old lawn for new one

"My 2 Cents" wrote in message ...
On
I was never much of a lawn guy so I defer to people who are. I just
know what I hear.
In SW Florida lawns are a horrible waste of time, effort and water we
can't afford to lose. Lawns are also the major cause of algae blooms
and overall water pollution because the fertilizer does not stay on
the lawn. It washes off into the water.
In my yard, all I want is something green, whatever will survive
without any help from me. I have grass in the rainy season and wild
flowers in the dry season.

Yeah, I'm a mother nature type.. what ever grows grows. The mower
knocks it down, something grows back. Much more interesting watching
the plants compete for survival then a boring mono culture. Bag the
stuff? No way, the only green stuff or whatever the mower cuts that gets
away is the stuff that manages to find it's way onto the street.
Last time I mowed I noticed a slightly greener spot out front where
I'd buried a stray cat a couple of years ago that had gotten run over.

That's how we get nearly all the new flowers & trees. The lovely Miseries Snuffy makes me mow around anything that does not look like a weed, so it's easier to dig it up and move it into the garden.

Got a beautiful manzanita plant that way that is now 6 feet tall & covered year round with bright red berries about the size of BBs. I think that one came from a berry of a limb I brought home years ago. I wanted to cut it down many times before it started blooming because of catching my shirt on the throns. Good thing I'm not the boss around here.

Also got several Mexican date palms and a couple of yucca plants that all came up wild. Not the real pretty ones, but they're green & don't take any work or watering. One turned out to be a Canary Island date palm, now about 20 feet high - really nice looking but fons are sharper than needles. I'd rather trim a field full of rosebushes than one of these things.