Posted to alt.home.repair
Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney Snuffy \Hub Cap\ McKinney is offline

Default Kitchen sink garbage disposal dry

"Pat Dixon" wrote in message ...
Terry Coombs wrote:

Why would you want to run it dry ? Unless it's just to test ...

I just want to know how to use it.
I moved to a new apartment, which has a garbage disposal.
I've never had one before.

I don't know if it's critical that water always be run.
Or if it's just recommended.
Or if it doesn't matter in the least.

I just want to know how to use it.

This is a good newsgroup, but you'll have to drop a dozen or so goofball posters in the disposal.

You might call the maker of the disposal and ask the person who does maintenance at the apartment. They will probably also have other tips also.

Myself, I generally wipe all dishes with a paper towel and put it in the trash can before anything goes in the sink or dishwasher, especially meat, oil and grease. The more I can keep out of the drain pipes the longer before they need rooted out. Hardly ever need the disposal any more, but I still run it at least once a week for about 30 seconds, alternating hot & cold water with dish detergent.

I have heard all kinds of stories about running it with ice, orange peels, etc., but my own personal opinion is just use water and detergent unless the maker has other recommendations.

About use life -- I installed our about 20 years ago and it never had a problem until about a month ago, when it had not be turned on for a long time, and wouldn't start turning. I felt around inside and couldn't find any thing jamming it.
The allen wrench at the bottom was not strong enough to turn it. , so I used a 1/2-inch wooden dowel to turn lever it loose (with power off). Then turned it on and flush with water & detergent. This happened again about a week or so later. Probably means it needs to be taken apart or replaced.