Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default expanding foam guns

On 2016-06-09, John Rumm wrote:

On 09/06/2016 15:57, Adam Funk wrote:
I'm thinking of getting some "non-disposable" expanding foam for
various insulation & sealing jobs. I've read the wiki article
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Expanding_foam
but I have a few extra questions.

Are the cans & guns standardized & interchangeable, or is it important
to pick out a "reputable name" of gun to ensure a long-term supply of
foam for it?

I can't say I have tried all the brands, but they seem to be
interchangeable.

The wiki says:

When using a gun, the gun can be left on the can for short periods
of disuse but must be taken off and cleaned if left for longer
periods. Cans of cleaner designed to fit the guns are available.

Do the foam cans seal themselves well (like gas cylinders) when taken

It varies... they tend to seal slightly better than the non "gun" cans,
but not always perfectly - they will still lose pressure if you leave
them long enough IME

off the gun? Do you leave a can of cleaner on the gun when it's not
in use, or just blow cleaner through the gun & then leave it open?

I normally rinse through with the cleaner from a can of cleaner, then
leave dry. Unless its going to be more than a couple of weeks, I just
leave the foam can on the gun.

Thanks (to everyone else too).