gothika

Default Remove Hard Deposits on Video Heads?

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 00:01:52 GMT, (Michael) wrote:
Try using a stronger solvent. I use a cotton swab and a good brand of
carb cleaner(aerosol).
You can also use a contact cleanerlike CRC QD Electronic cleaner.
If you use carb cleaner use a clear type. I use the Wal-mart store
brand (SuperTEch) or the autozone stor brand(it comes in a yellow and
red spray can.)
Triple trico will work as well, or even butane lighter fluid.
Bear in mind that all these stronger solvents can damage plastic, so
use caution and don't oversaturate the swab.
Some disassembly will be required to get clear access to the
head.(Most of the time just removing the tape hatch cover will
suffice.)
spray the swab with the solvent and shake it a time or two to get the
"drips" out then quickly rub the drum head with it.
It'll take several swabs to remove all the deposits.
Once I get the hard muck off I follow up with a foam swab with head
cleaner or denatured alchohol to remove any lint or chemical residue
from the swabs.

Hi. I have a Panasonic PV-DV400D MiniDV camcorder that has gotten hard
deposits on the video heads, resulting in one head's not being able to
read. There's still enough tape contact for record, and recordings made on
this camera play in other cameras.

Microscopic examination shows obvious hard deposits across the head gaps,
but nothing I've tried will remove them. Is there any way to do it? If
not, is there some cheap source of a head drum (such as a wrecked unit)
for this camera?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael