Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Planing the end grain of a pencil sized tree core

wrote in
:

It seems that I would need a 13000 grit stone to sharpen the blade
which would cost me 150 dollars, totaling to about 250-300 dollars.Any
ideas on another method that would involve disposable razor blades?

Like Sonny said, you don't need such a stone. However, let's take a look
at your razor blade solution: It's the same basic setup as the plane on
sticks, only you need to tape or otherwise round the surfaces that will
be running on the two sticks. It's probably going to be harder to
control, unless you rig up something to hold the razor blade.

You might do ok with a "chisel" style X-acto blade and a wide running
surface on only one side, but X-acto blades are not stiff and will flex,
which can result in poor cuts. (The chisel style blades have only a
single bevel, the standard #11 blades have a double bevel. Use the bevel
up.) The chisel blades that fit the most common handle will probably be
too small for a diagonal cut, so look for wider blades. They'll probably
require a different handle, if you decide to use it.

Be sure to wax the sticks, less surface friction will help a lot. You
don't need special wax, just some candle wax will be good enough.

Puckdropper