Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Planing the end grain of a pencil sized tree core

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:21:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
It seems that I would need a 13000 grit stone to sharpen the blade which would cost me 150 dollars, totaling to about 250-300 dollars.Any ideas on another method that would involve disposable razor blades?

You don't need that fine of grit to sharpen any average/reasonable quality blade and sharpen it well enough to shave your rod. As for as grit, your local auto parts store has 2000 or 3000 grit sand paper ($5), for honing an already sharpened planer blade. Securing the sand paper to a glass pane, or a scrap piece of smooth granite, will do fine, for honing the blade.

Might want to wet (several - 10 drops of water) the sand paper, when honing..

Sonny