Chuck

Default Vertical Panel Saw

On 29 Jul 2004 16:44:21 GMT, (Joeljcarver) wrote:

There’s been a measure of messages about vertical panels saws and their
productivity.
I can only discuss why I got one and its usefulness.

FWW had a Shop Tip on a faux panel-saw. Take four 2x4s, notch
them so they hang from above on a pipe you mount to the ceiling or the
wall, and so they hang at about 5 degrees tilt when contacting the
floor. Screw/glue a block near the bottom (at a comfortable height for
you) of each 2x4 to support sheet goods. Use a clamp-n-guide to guide
a circular saw to make vertical cuts (across the 4' width of the
sheet). Accuracy depends on your ability to clamp the guide. You can
cut anywhere on the sheet without contacting the 2x4s because they can
be moved independently along the pipe.
To make horizontal cuts (along the 8' length) set the saw to
cut the sheet plus 1/8" or so, and clamp the section *above* the cut
line to the 2x4s to keep the cut section from closing the kerf.
When you're not using the jig, the 2x4s can be put away.

Sounds good to me. I've installed the pipe, and when the next
sheet needs cutting, I'll do the rest.

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}