Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UK government spending

On 13/06/16 16:32, Adrian wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 16:11:11 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

try looking at the club-med countries

I have. Last time I was there, Spain (or the part of it I was in) seemed
to ignore the smoking indoors in a public place stuff. Like in bars. I'm
sure they ignore other such laws too.

When we went to Rome in 2005, the smoking ban there seemed to be very
enthusiastically obeyed - seriously. We were gobsmacked at how much so.

thinks
Oh, wait a sec. That was two years before the UK smoking ban came in. And
11 EU countries still don't have a smoking ban in place, and only seven
have bans as widespread as the UK (including Spain).

Mmm. I wonder how such an EU-wide law could be so variably implemented.
Unless... No, surely not. But we keep getting told everything is down to
the EU telling us what to do...?

There isn't an EU law on dog fouling either.

But there could be. You could be walking your dog on the Lapland Tundra,
and a helicopter lands next to you and arrests you for not sticking its
crap in a plastic bag 'because we have harmonised dog crap laws, so what
applies in Hyde park, applies in Lapland, that's called harmonisation'
which is the same as diversity, of course, in doublethink terms.

And the point would be, that that would be slipped in as a regulation.
After all who at Brussels cares about dog crap in Lapp[land: They want
Brussels streets cleaned up - its just 'streamlining and harmonising
regulations' and there would be nothing you, or any MEP or indeed anyone
anywhere in the EU could do about it.

All you need is for things in the EU to get a bit worse, and a sort of
latter day Hitler to get control of it, and there would be no way short
of armed insurrection, to stop a total takeover.

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."