Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Preparing old lawn for new one

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 7:54:29 AM UTC-4, bob haller wrote:
On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 5:44:51 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 02:19:19 -0600, Hillari Clinton
wrote:

On 06/13/2016 12:35 AM, Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney wrote:
Got too many weeds in one patch of the yard about 15x30 and decided to kill or remove all the old grass/weeds and start fresh with new seed.

I'm wondering if I covered it with tarps, how long would it take for the grass and weeds to die? I don't want to spray it with herbicide. Temp will be around 75-80 from now until August, then 80-90 until mid-Sept. No rain excepted any time soon.

Thanks.

A solution of one gallon of vinegar with a tablespoon of dish detergent sprayed on weeds kills them dead.

OK, but does it affect germination of the new seed? That is why you
can't use Roundup or similar chemicals.

plus the existing weed seeds already in the soil will germinate, espically once you dig up the soil to plant new grass seeds.

your really better off to use normal weed control methods.

You still have that problem with Roundup. It only kills the actively
growing vegetation. And AFAIK, any herbicide that persists, will not
only keep the weeds from sprouting, but also the new grass.

the sorched earth kill everything isnt the better choice.

my neighbor recently killed a entire area like you want to do.

he used a propane burner on a hose..

i will post back here when it s complete. which might be next spring....

given time to dig up, plant seed, germinate. in the heat and dry summer its going to be hard to grow grass seed

Agree, summer is the worst time. Fall is by far the best, followed by
eary Spring.