Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default goofy motor bearings

"Jim Wilkins" fired this volley in news:njji0r$gsd
:

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
First of all, a full brass anything would melt down in a few years
as the zinc would be dissolved by airborne chlorine. Brass is
pretty,
but using it in the shop it can be tricky.

Martin

I have no idea where such an idea comes from! I have lots of little
various-geometry 'shim devices' I've had for decades (for model-making),
all made of plain yellow brass -- some as thin as 0.001".

I've got a number of non-ferrous tools, too, for working with explosives.
Most of the commercial ones are bronze, but the ones we have made in-shop
are mostly plain brass.

NONE of them have "melted down"... nor even corroded beyond plain
"tarnish".

Come to think of it, none of the brass decorative items in my home have
"melted down", either!

The only place I have had brass fail in that manner is when it was in
contact with aluminum. As I have learned, using brass bolts threaded
into an aluminum housing is a really bad idea.