Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Planing the end grain of a pencil sized tree core

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 10:57:12 AM UTC-7, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 11:57:03 AM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
Three things I'd try:
Bore a hole in a wood scrap, put the stick in and wedge it, and fill with paraffin wax. ...

This sounds like instructions for planing the end of his "stick", like the end grain of a dowel. Am I thinking correctly?

I think he wants to plane along the length of the stick,

AH, a light dawns. I'd still recommend the same thing, but for a 16" long item, you get the hole
by grooving two boards and fastening 'em around the stick.

Maybe a bead of hotmelt glue or construction adhesive would be better than wax...