Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lentil Beam above Garage is Bending

On 06/11/2016 09:44 PM, Houstonbrick wrote:
replying to Daniel Fenner, Houstonbrick wrote:
We see this problem often here in Houston,TX..We are a small masonry
repair
contractor in Spring, TX..There are very few options available. If there
is a
way to access your home warranty, you could ask them to repair. Second
option
is to call someone like us. We would demolition 2 to 3 feet of garage and
replace lentil with stronger back. A stronger piece of iron the is 4
inches on
one side and the other side 5 to 6 inches. If the masonry above garage is
attached well with wall ties,there is a possibility that entire gable
will
have to come down. This is not a DIY project. It's best to call a pro.
In our
area it is considered an extensive repair. You can expect to pay 3200 to
7000.
There really is no easy way to do it right. The guys at
www.masoncrew.net are
wonderful and you can trust them to give you a free evaluation if you
send
pictures.

That's what you get for building beams of lentils; you're supposed to
use lumber.

And, yes, I know this is an old post to which I am responding.

Perce

Sounds like you know your beans.

--
..