Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Planing the end grain of a pencil sized tree core

On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 15:01:33 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 5:53:39 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 20:43:43 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Saturday, June 11, 2016 at 11:24:00 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jun 2016 20:12:01 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to make a flat surface on a pencil sized, 16" long piece of end grain using a hand planer? I am trying to count very faint tree rings on a sugar maple without using sandpaper, which clogs up the pores with saw dust. Would a hand or electric planner catch rather than cut, or create a rough surface when viewed under a microscope? If anyone knows of a better method then please let me know.

Here is a link to an image of what I am trying to create an even and smooth surface on:
http://www.fortedwards.org/projects/tree-no1d.jpg

I would think that a stain would help see the growth rings. That's
its purpose, though perhaps a woodworking stain isn't the best
solution. Biologists have a number of stains they use for this sort
of thing. You might try your state's extension service.

I have used stains to help clarify the tree rings, but it is only after sanding to 1200 grit that I am able to see the rings. I only use stains if the sanding is not adequate enough which is rarely the case.

But you said you couldn't see the rings because the sanding plugged up
the grain?

For most species I can see the rings despite the saw dust.

I'd think the stain would help with that (again, perhaps not wood
stain).

The reason I want to cut rather than sand is that it will save time, money, and provide a better image when looking at rings that are only a few cells wide. For those who might be confused here is a pictures similar to what I am trying to achieve: http://www.wsl.ch/medien/news/video_...1/Picture2.png
http://cfile6.uf.tistory.com/image/2...56826992205E1A

Yes, that looks like a microtome that someone else was talking about.
I haven't seen one that long.