Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] jcoruddat@gmail.com is offline

Default Planing the end grain of a pencil sized tree core

On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 5:24:22 PM UTC-4, dadiOH wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 1:57:12 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 11:57:03 AM UTC-5, whit3rd wrote:
Three things I'd try:
Bore a hole in a wood scrap, put the stick in and wedge it, and
fill with paraffin wax. Then, with a heavy workbench vise, you
can hold it still for a swipe or two with a sharp plane.
Low-angle (block) plane would be suitable, maybe a final pass or
three with a card scraper.
Hole, wedge, wax again, only this time make a crosscut pass with a
steel plywood blade in a table saw.
Hole, wedge, wax again, only this time make a light pass with a
straight carbide router bit.

Planing a loose knot is a close approximation to the task you have
ahead of
you; making it a NOT-loose knot would be a high priority.

This sounds like instructions for planing the end of his "stick",
like the end grain of a dowel. Am I thinking correctly?

I think he wants to plane along the length of the stick, which is a
core sample, which the end grain is along its length, is
perpendicular to the length.

Sonny

That's correct. Wit3rd, are you thinking of encasing the core in wax
and then shaving off small sections with a planner?

Ah, the LENGTH. In that case, forget the microtome et al, a hand plane will
do the job but it must be sharp. For what you want, I'd think a block plane
would be the thing, just rig some way of keeping the core immobile.

Ok thanks, i'll look into that.