Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Questions About Back-To-Back Clamps

DerbyDad03 wrote:
I picked up a couple of 36" Back-To-Back clamps at a garage sale
yesterday.
I used one as a basic saw guide and it worked great.

The seller is/was selling all of these:

Single sided includes 2 -- 24"; 1 -- 36" and 1 -- 50".
Double sided includes 2 -- 18"; 2 -- 36" (mine now) and 2 -- 50"
clamps

http://i.imgur.com/vjK8vfH.jpg

Asking prices start at $30 for the 50" Back-To-Back down to $13 for
the 24" single side. I know he will come down in price: He wanted $36
for the pair I bought, I paid $30. Those are decent prices, right?

I understand the differences between the Back-To-Back vs. the single
side,
but here is what I am curious about:

Are these clamps strictly for use as straight edges or can they be
use for
glue ups, such as for panels or cabinet doors?

Is there anything else I should think about before dropping some more
money on the clamps?

They aren't for clamping glue ups. Not IMO at least.

I have a couple of 50" ones I use occasionaly but when I do I butt a piece
of wood to the outboard edge of the clamp and clamp the wood to the work.
Why? Because my experience is that the clamps will deflect if much lateral
pressure is applied.