Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Kitchen sink garbage disposal dry

Pat Dixon writes:

Terry Coombs wrote:

Why would you want to run it dry ? Unless it's just to test ...

I just want to know how to use it.
I moved to a new apartment, which has a garbage disposal.
I've never had one before.

I don't know if it's critical that water always be run.
Or if it's just recommended.
Or if it doesn't matter in the least.

I just want to know how to use it.

Always helps to give this kind of background info.

Don't drop things like spoons in there, they'll come
flying back out pretty fast.

If it gets jammed, there is a place to put an
allen wrench in the bottom to turn it by hand.

You can look into it to see things like dropped
jewelry. People with small hands can reach a couple
of fingers in there. That's safe as long as you don't
turn it on. Otherwise use some implement.

Only put things in there that can be chopped up
easily. (Walnut shells are too hard, paper is no good.)

Some people complain about smell. Never had that problem,
just rinse after using.

Otherwise I find mine is a time saver and makes clean up
quick.

Enjoy.

--
Dan Espen