Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default goofy motor bearings

First of all, a full brass anything would melt down in a few years
as the zinc would be dissolved by airborne chlorine. Brass is pretty,
but using it in the shop it can be tricky.

Martin

On 6/10/2016 9:37 PM, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 21:11:46 -0500, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

I have one - the long or down in a hole is a bit long and would tip over
when most oil was gone. I solved that. I went to the toolbox and got
a 'washer' of lead. Dropped in the tank and it sits nicely. The long
tube might have been added after sales for an operation.

Martin

On 6/10/2016 9:09 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 20:48:56 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 12:33:18 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
I just tore down a early 1960s 3/4 HP 3 phase motor to examine the
insides. It's from a drill press and has grease fittings on it,
even
though it's just a 56 frame motor with a 5/8" shaft. There's
nothing
special about the motor other than it has a factory paint job that
matches
the rest of the machine.

Anyways, the thing was full of grease, yet had shielded (6203zz I
think)
Nachi made in Japan bearings installed. They seemed too new to be
original,and why the thing was packed with grease baffles me.
Nothing
looks modified in any way.

The only thing that would make even a lick of sense is there were
unshielded bearings in there originally and that's why there were
grease
ports. Why the thing was pumped full of grease later is a mystery.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

That's better than no lube ever, like some of the machines I bought
used. The trade school students had broken most of the oil cups off
my
lathe.

And the broken nipples had been left in the holes? That sounds like
the machines I used in 8th grade metalshop. sigh

Were you the $#!+#=@[) who beat on the tailstock spindle like an anvil
horn?

g Oh, no. I respected the machinery much more than some of my
braindead fellow students.

It was the only Heavy 10 among a batch of 9" South Bends and I
couldn't pass it up. The dealer swapped the spindle but it's not a
perfect fit. I haven't seen another 10L since for less than twice its
price.

When I bought it there were still industrial suppliers in town. One
had the proper Gits oil cups in stock, and a shiny new Eagle No. 66
oiler:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-No-66-...5#ht_174wt_868

OMG! Are people really paying those prices? Dolts.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

Might not be so bad IF it was really a brass oiler, but that turkey is
plated steel.