Posted to alt.home.repair
JerseyBoy JerseyBoy is offline

Default gutter with low spot in middle and standing water

replying to Metspitzer, JerseyBoy wrote:
Hmmmm. I've got water collecting on the high end of a gutter, even though
that end is about 1 1/2 " above the low end 17' away (that assumes the house
is level, and it may have settled with a shift towards that high end of the
gutter). The problem it causes is to leak dirty water onto a white railing
for the porch below, staining the white vinyl railing.
Instead of trying to re-align the gutter, which would be a lot of trouble
(deck and gardens have been added, complicating ladder access) I thought
putting some sort of wick in that low spot might keep that water from
collecting and seeping through the end of the gutter. Sealing that gutter end
might solve the problem also, but getting to it would not be easy.
Your suggestion about a rope in the drain re-enforces my idea. It's certainly
worth a try. All I've got to lose is a section of railing that has to be
cleaned. Right now, I've got it covered with a tarp.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...er-625697-.htm