Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Y[_3_] Don Y[_3_] is offline

Default Desk Light Transformer

On 6/11/2016 10:17 AM, Meanie wrote:
The plug and transformer looks just like this

So, the "plug" is more like a "module" with two (or three) prongs to bring
power *in* and a 2-pin connector to deliver power to the actual lamp?

I'll assume the "fine" (copper colored) wires were connected to the mains
side ("plug") and the heavier (insulted black) were connected to the
2-pin connector (shown at the bottom center)?

If this is the case, then the transformer is stepping DOWN -- the current
handling capacity of the fine wires being less than the current
handling capacity of the heavier wires. As "power" is relatively constant
across the transformer, if current is going UP (heavy black wires),
voltage is gong DOWN.

(A ballast would INCREASE voltage to the lamp AND require more than
just two wires)

Does the "module" have anything written on the back to suggest
its output voltage? (AC as no rectifier is in sight) And,
total power (Watts) or current (Amps)?

The lamp is this

Lots of places for stuff to be "hidden" inside the lamp. I.e.,
electronic ballast.

That grey plastic plug cover is what broke and I made another with the wood.
Though, I like the idea of using a project box, inserting a ballast style trans
and using it. If this one fails, that may be my next option or, I'll just cave
in for an LED lamp unless I can find a bulb for this one.

Figure out what the transformer actually *does* before settling on a
solution. I suspect you'll be able to find a salvage "wall wart"
(AC -- though DC *might* work) and just cut the plug that mates to
your "2-pin connector" off and attach it to the wall wart, instead.

Nice and clean and safe. (though white/grey might be hard to find)