Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default An independent view on the referendum (maybe)

Dave Plowman (News) wrote
John Rumm wrote

6) Will the working conditions of UK citizens be protected?

Yes, and hopefully not too much.

(look at the cluster **** that is the state of working conditions in
France. There is so much legislation protecting "the worker" that its
almost impossible for businesses to trade and operate effectively).
That's of no benefit to anyone in the end).

But France has different legislation to the UK.

This is the problem. Many in the UK look at the worst aspect of an
individual EU country, and say 'look - that's what will happen here'

Particularly those into FUD.

The fact that the large unions are much in favour of remaining in the
EU I see as a cause for concern - but that is prejudiced by my general
distrust of the unions - many of whom seem to see in the EU a way of
edging back to their positions of power and influence that they enjoyed
in the early 70's but which they lost due to the efforts of the
evil/great*
Thatcher (* delete as appropriate depending on viewpoint).

Odd they didn't persuade the last Labour government
to repeal the Thatcher legislation, then?

Not odd at all. Blair essentially made an obscene gesture in their
general direction and wasn’t interested in what they wanted. His
govt was much more right wing than any previous Labour govt.

Unions don't have the same influence these days as once, because
they don't have the same percentage of the workforce as members.
Because so many that would once have been employees are now
casual or freelance workers, and a union can't do much for them.

And because many of the industrys that were heavily unionised
are nothing like what they used to be, particularly in manufacturing.
It is always going to be much harder to unionise the service sector.

My guess is if we vote out, the extreme right wing will get power.

No reason why it should. UKIP couldn’t even get more than a
refugee from the Torys elected to Westminster and that one
would have held his seat regardless of what party he was in.

And while 18% did vote for UKIP in the last election, that
wouldn’t happen if Britain was out of the EU, the absolute
vast bulk of those voters would go back to voting for
whichever of the two majors they had preferred in the
past with quite a few of the previous Labour voters
voting Tory while ever that fool Corbyn is running Labour.

Plenty of them in the existing Tory party.

Sure, but they wouldn’t have more influence in the Tory party
with Britain out of the EU. Boris very likely will replace Cameron,
particularly if Britain does leave the EU, but he isnt particularly
extreme right wing, more just another political clown. I can't
see him being stupid enough to kick all the foreigners out etc,
particularly given that his ancestors are rather more recently
foreigners than many of the other Torys.

And they have a great deal of interest in restricting
both human rights and employment rights.

Oh bull****. It was in fact Churchill who was personally
responsible for Britain getting involved in human rights
after the war and he is in fact one of the more extreme
right wing the Torys had in the 20th century apart from
Thatcher. Even Maggie wasn’t into restricting human
rights and employment rights.