Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Villa Bob Villa is offline

Default Installing (2002) Delta TS

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 9:11:36 AM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 23:40:47 -0400, Bill
wrote:

The flow of electricity in the 240v versus 120v circuits (feel free to
show me that I'm wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it).

First off there is a single phase, a 240v circuit needs no neutral.

The potential of the two legs is 180 degrees different to cause that
potential.

A 120v circuit require a neutral return path.

If you have two signals that are 180 degrees out of phase they cancel
each other. That would be a two phase system and you only have one.

The "potential" is a voltage term. The 2 "hot" wires are in phase for 240 single phase. If you took 2 120 Volt circuits from the same side of the panel (in phase) black to black, white to white...you would have effectively, the same circuit at 120 V. 240 out of phase? Not sure of the consequences of that!