Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_6_] krw[_6_] is offline

Default Installing (2002) Delta TS

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:35:29 -0400, Bill
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 17:23:47 -0400, Bill
wrote:

Bob Villa wrote:
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 1:45:41 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
In article ,
says...
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 8:55:19 PM UTC-5, Markem wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 21:30:09 -0400, Mike Marlow
wrote:

Markem wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 15:19:50 -0400, FrozenNorth

On 2016-06-08 3:07 PM, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
In the owner's manual for my (new to me) Delta TS (36-841), it says:

"This circuit should not be less than #12 wire and should be protected
with a 20 Amp time lag fuse."

Not being aware of this detail until now, I was just going to use a
regular 20-Amp circuit-breaker (I ran #12 wire).
Correction, I ran #10 wire, for this.

Please advise. Thank you!

Bill
Prepare for a few breaker pops, hope the fuse panel is close to the saw.
If wired for 120 V I would say yes, if wire for 240 V probably not.

20 amps is 20 amps. Don't matter whether you're running 120 or 240.
Yes but a 240 V circuit has two 20 amp leads, a motor drawing 20 amps,
10 per leg.

Mark
Current (when there is a load) is the same at any place in the circuit, regardless of being 120 or 240.
However a more that needs 20 amps at 110 volts only needs 10 at 220.
That's because it gets 10 amps on Each of Two legs at the same time (I
think "legs" is the right word, I could be wrong).
Even though this is not DC...Ohm's Law says your theory is wrong. I=E/R, if you double the voltage you halve the current. Also, wattage would prove that out. The same motor wired 240, would draw
I get it. I'm also gently reminded/informed that a 240V circuit is Not
the equivalent of two 120v circuits.

It is, really, except that the two circuits are out of phase, so they
add (if they were in-phase, they'd subtract).

That comment makes me wonder whether you really understand--as well as
Bob Villa has explained it.

Wonder about what? What I said is correct, with a possible niggle
about "circuits" (without the neutral there is only one).

Frankly, I didn't understand "( ?~ ?? ?°)". ;-)