Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How Much Would You Pay For This Reclaimed Douglas Fir?

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 1:03:18 PM UTC-4, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, June 8, 2016 at 9:04:06 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
What would be a reasonable price for these 2 lots of wood?

What's the going rate, per bd ft, in your area?

This may not reflect "old growth" prices.
https://hardwoodstore.com/lumber-prices

First Lot looks like about 53 bd ft. These boards appear to be quarter sawn, desireable.

Second Lot looks like about 41 bd ft. These boards are not quarter sawn. These boards don't seem to be rough sawn, but just used & abused milled lumber, needing cleaning up.

I would think the First Lot may be the better lot, overall. I'd buy this lot on the basis of bd ft or linear ft. Maybe, make an offer of $2-$3 bd ft, or $1.50 ln ft, see what happens?

I'd buy the Second Lot on the basis of each individual board.... Make an offer of, maybe, $10-$13-$15(?) for each longer board and $1(?) for each the firewood. The only thing going for these boards, as opposed to the First Lot, is that they are 1.5" X 6" wide, if that aspect is more desireable for your project.

Sonny

Sorry about the Rough Sawn terminology. All of the wood was left over from
a post and beam house project. All of the wood was reclaimed by the company
that built the house. The long boards were never surfaced. The first lot was
surfaced to use as interior casing, but was cut to the wrong size and sat in the homeowner's basement for 15 years

Actually, I want both lots and (at least at this point) the seller does
not want to break up the lots.

When I first saw the ad, I was hoping that the long S4S boards would only
need to be cut to length to become the frame (side, foot and head rails)
for a full size bed. Then I realized that they were only 4 1/2 inches,
which I think are too narrow for rails of that size bed. The 6" wide boards,
once they are cleaned up, will be fine for the rails themselves and the S4S
boards will be used for the mattress supports, head board, legs, etc.

I'll have a lot left over, but that's OK.

Your numbers put me very close to what I was going to offer for both lots,
which is less than he wants for the 2 lots separately.

Thanks for the estimate.