Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Immersion heater timer

"F" news@nowhere wrote in message
On 09/06/2016 14:22, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

There is a thermostat and it was wound all the way up to maximum at
180C!

Sure that's not Fahrenheit? 180F = ~82C

If your immersion was really able to reach 180C, boiling-over would be
the least of your problems

Doh! I'm so used to using C that I forgot to add the F!

You forgot your own name?:-)

As it happens, the thermostat may well be pretty much stuck 'on'. Set to
120F (I decided to reduce it a little bearing in mind the risk of pain to
the unwary) it is getting pretty hot. Winding the adjuster back and forth
a few times elicits clicks most, but not all, of the time.

The only positive outcome today has been the opportunity to use my Aldi
'headlamp' for the first time. Seriously useful.

Your first job should be to swap the old stat for a dual safety stat that
uses these new fangled Cs. It's actually quite easy in most cases (apart
from when a plumber passes a pipe across the top of it etc).

Post a photo of what you have if you are not sure.

The 18" stats, the most common size, are £10.79 in SF.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dual-safet...ostat-18/89445

--
Adam