Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "hard start" on AC

On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:41:53 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 19:09:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hello, I have a Rheem heat pump, model Rpnl-043jaz. The lights in my house all flicker every time it goes on....Will the hard start kit resolve this problem?

A hard start might actually make that worse. It does just what it
implies. It adds an extra capacitor to the motor to kick it harder on
the start. This is used when the compressor is getting old and will
not kick over reliably on it's own.

If your connections are solid from the utility, it may just indicate
that your service conductors are too long or too small.

I've seen hard start kits break the connecting rod in a compressor. The best first move is to install a anti-short cycle timer to let the system pressures equalise so the compressor starts under minimum load. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Hard Monster