Posted to alt.home.repair
Micky[_3_] Micky[_3_] is offline

Default (OT) Need keyboard & mouse for old Apple G3 computer

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 22:30:22 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 07 Jun 2016 15:44:26 -0700, Don Y
wrote:

USB keyboards can usually be found for $1 (craig's list, auctions, surplus,
etc.). The local university periodically sells a laundry cart full of
these things for ~$7 -- and usually has a tough time finding someone to
take them!

Yea, but those are PC keyboards. I unsderstand they wont work properly
on a Mac because the Mac needs some special keys. I read on some website
that there is software to redefine the keys, but that could get
complicated (I guess).

When a good friend of mine died last winter, his brother went through
his stuff and gave to Goodwill two Mac keyboards, and then I was
supposed to get the data off his computer. We went to Goodwill
together and they had everything in boxes but wouldn't let us look at
the boxes. The brother said they were wide enough they'd be sticking
out so we woudln't have to open anything, but you know how people are.
He called someone and was told that a PC keyboard would work, and
indded it does. At least with this Mac10.4 which is 10 years old I
think, and anything newer.

There are only about 3 keys to worry about, and 2 of them are easy. Of
course I'm only doing a little bit one it but you can at least use a
PC key

I looked in the computer for my list but after not finding it I
remembered I put it on paper, whatever that is.

But just google mac pc key substition, there are several pages.

I assume I can use a standard USB mouse though, but I dont have any of
them, so I'll have to buy one.

It seems that the original ABD keyboards sell for big money, so I wont
even consider buying one of them. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing
that I could use ANY mouse with a USB plug (is that true?)
But can I use a USB keyboard which is made for a PC? (Knowing that the
specific "windows" keys will be worthless).

The problem you will find is bringing up the computer. A USB keyboard might
work -- but probably only after the OS is running. I.e., if you ever have to
install from scratch, you might discover that it REQUIRES a genuine keyboard
to interact with the machine.

So I either need a genuine Mac USB or ADB keyboard, for things to work
properly. Right?

Hopefully someone on here uses Apple computers and can tell me what I
can use, and buy for little money.

By the way, it has OS9 for the operating system, so it was apparently
upgraded since they sold with OS8.x (according to what I read on the
web).

I assume you mean MacOS v9. (OS/9 is a different beast, entirely)

Yes.
It says OS9 or OS 9 when it boots.