Posted to sci.electronics.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,alt.windows7.general
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Router sulks, then works.

On 6/7/2016 8:17 PM, Micky wrote:
On one of these groups, I posted about 6 months ago about the adapter
for my router failing after a power outage. Apparently it's not a
power surge but just normal unplugging and replugging that is bad for
many things (especially maybe if they can cool off in between). I
used a universal adapter for a while and bought the exact replacement
adapter, with the D-Link label, on Ebay. Everything fine.

Last night we had another power failure and today, after futile
attempts to get my mail, I see that none of the lights on the router
are on. I hadn't even gotten around to taking the universal adapter
back to it's drawer in the basement!

So I switched to that and it didnt' work, but after I unplugged and
plugged it in 3 times, ALL the lights on the router went on and stayed
on. I ended up unplugging it from the adapter at least 10 times
before it finally started working. And now it's been fine for hours.

It would seem that the logical thing would be to simply buy a new router
from a good maker. If the router uses a 12V supply and your area has bad
power problems something like a Belkin BU3DC001-12V instead of a 'normal'
wall-wart supply might be advisable too if the plug is fully compatible. I
use the Belkin on my AT&T modem (it came with one) and another on my main
switch in the equipment room (I had a spare one just sitting there) while
each of the computers has their own 1200VA AC UPS supplying it and any
important ancillary network equipment, etc, in their vicinity. I have five
of these AC UPS units. The power in my area really sucks big time and I
eventually learned my lesson...

But I never did see any symptoms such as you describe -- everything reset
fine after being powered off for a few seconds or when the reset button was
pressed (in the old days where there were actual reset buttons on small
network equipment).