Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default goofy motor bearings

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016 16:13:42 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

I just tore down a early 1960s 3/4 HP 3 phase motor to examine the
insides. It's from a drill press and has grease fittings on it, even
though it's just a 56 frame motor with a 5/8" shaft. There's nothing
special about the motor other than it has a factory paint job that matches
the rest of the machine.

Anyways, the thing was full of grease, yet had shielded (6203zz I think)
Nachi made in Japan bearings installed. They seemed too new to be
original,and why the thing was packed with grease baffles me. Nothing
looks modified in any way.

The only thing that would make even a lick of sense is there were
unshielded bearings in there originally and that's why there were grease
ports. Why the thing was pumped full of grease later is a mystery.

Anybody seen anything like this before?

I've seen double sealed bearings installed in place of single sealed -
the grease fitting is on the "unsealed" side. Does no good with double
sealed bearings and can pop the outer seal off single sealed bearings
in some cases.