Posted to sci.electronics.repair,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware,alt.windows7.general
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Router sulks, then works.

"Micky" wrote in message
news
On one of these groups, I posted about 6 months ago about the adapter
for my router failing after a power outage. Apparently it's not a
power surge but just normal unplugging and replugging that is bad for
many things (especially maybe if they can cool off in between).

Its fairly common for items with an SMPSU to have an inrush limiting NTC
thermistor, these reduce in resistance when current flow heats them up -
they take a few minutes to cool back to room temperature and return to the
higher resistance.

They're mainly to limit the charging surge for the reservoir capacitor -
some items don't have the NTC device, but don't seem to be conspicuously any
less reliable.

After a certain manufacture date; anything over 50W had to have a PFC front
end - basically a switch mode regulator that preceeds the reservoir
capacitor - soft start is easier and cheaper to do electronically than
include the NTC device.