Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington[_2_] David Billington[_2_] is offline

Default Drill geometry and wobbly hole starts

On 08/06/16 20:44, Jon Anderson wrote:
On 6/06/2016 7:03 AM, David Billington wrote:

Would something like a fly press (screw press in the US) do. I have one
and love it and a few years ago acquired a decent set of metric and inch
sized punches and dies off ebay.

Probably, but a bit of a one trick pony, whereas an iron worker can
address multiple tasks. Thanks for the suggestion. Might consider
trying to find one when I start putting my shop back together.

Jon

Jon,

A fly press can do many things, I use mine for punching holes,
folding metal with brake press type kit, shrinking metal with shrinking
jaws, forming metal with suitable forming tools, sizing items to OD and
ID, swaging tubing down to size with blacksmith type swaging tools, many
are easy to make. Forming rings, doming sheet metal, I think the
applications are endless it's just a matter of knowledge and skill to
produce the tools and maybe time, although many of the tools I have made
such as swaging tools are quick and easy to make. I find another nice
feature of a fly press is that you control the energy input and so get a
feel for the working of the material.

---